Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Learning with Mind Maps

Mind Map Reflection:

Early in my own learning experience, I remember being told that I was responsible for my own learning and no one was going to just give me the answers or allow me to slide on through. This seems like a very harsh thing to tell a five year old just starting the first grade, but it acts as a sign of the times. Learning was to be a singular endeavor that I could have assistance with, but had to accomplish on my own. Networking gives me a feeling of support and helps me focus on what I should be getting out of the instruction. It makes learning an event that is much more tolerable and valuable as a positive experience.


The tools that serve me best as facilitators of learning are the computer and the Smart phone (only because I can access the Internet with the Smart Phone). Other pieces of technology (television, radio, calculator, etc…) are also valuable as learning tools of specific types of information. The Internet is the most valuable tool in answering specific questions about disparate topics. Running a search using key
words with a search engine has become second nature. New information is learned by asking other individuals or running a computer search, dependent on the type of information required and the time frame within which it is required.



The mind map below is an example of what my information network may look like in graphic form. It is a very dynamic entity and shifts as the need for specific types of information changes. If you have difficulty reading the labels, please click on the image for a larger version.


References:

Bayne, G. (Producer). (2008, January 29). Connectivism [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/blog/gbayne/ELIPodcastConnectivism/167445

Chatti, M. & Jarke, M. (2007). The future of e-learning: A shift to knowledge networking and social software. International Journal of Knowledge and Learning, 3(4/5), pp 404-420. Retrieved from http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=connectivism+learning+as+network+creation&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

Kop, R. & Hill, A. (2008). Connectivism: Learning theory of the future or vestige of the past? The International Review of research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL), 9(3). Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/viewArticle/523/1103%22

Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: Learning as network-creation. ASTD. Retrieved from http://www.astd.org/LC/2005/1105_seimens.htm

Siemens, G. (2006). Knowing Knowledge. Copyright 2006 by George Siemens. Used by permission.

2 comments:

  1. John- As usual I find your reflections spot on. I didn't even think about adding TV and radio to my PLN although in my travels I'm always connected to satellite radio or AM talk shows, and then when I have time some evenings I browse programming on the "tube." Now that it is possible to watch on our smartphones, I download podcasts and vodcasts, and tune in through apps as well.

    Very attractive mindmap!
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandra,

    Thanks for the positive comments. Even though my focus has changed over the years, I still cannot ignore the media that have been providing useful information since my early school days. Also, I hope you caught the note about the "Memo Queen". This is one of my supervisors who is trying to keep the logging industry viable, one hand-written note at a time! :)

    John R.

    ReplyDelete